Ingredients for the Turkey
10 lb. fresh turkey
2 ribs celery, cut into chunks
2 large carrots, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
1 sprig thyme
Ingredients for the Herb Crust
1 bunch fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 bunch fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 bunch fresh sage, finely chopped
½ cup olive oil
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1. Finely chop the rosemary, thyme, and sage. Combine the herbs, salt, and olive oil together in a small bowl and rub it all over the skin of the fresh turkey.
2. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and bay leaves in a large roasting pan. Place the turkey on top of the vegetables and refrigerate overnight if possible. This will help the skin dry out and become nice and crispy.
3. Preheat oven to 450° F. Cooking time is about 17 minutes per pound.
4. Pour 1 cup water into the bottom of the roasting pan. Place the turkey in the preheated oven until the skin becomes brown, about 40 minutes.
5. Leaving the turkey in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350° F for the remainder of the cooking time, basting the turkey every 30 minutes with the pan juices. Add more water to the roasting pan if needed.
6. Remove the turkey from the oven when the thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the turkey reads 160° F. Make sure the thermometer is not touching a bone when doing the reading.
7. When the turkey is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
8. Place on a cutting board, slicing the breast meat and removing the drumsticks. Serve with other traditional Thanksgiving foods and enjoy!
Inspired by Noshtastic