2 lbs. eggplant
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 lb. minced beef
1 lb. tomatoes, chopped
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp almond milk
1. To make sauce, heat olive oil in a pan over high heat.
2. Add minced beef and onion. Cook until well browned and all the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove lid, add parsley, salt, and black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes, turn off heat and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350° F. Cut the unpeeled eggplant into ½ inch slices. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, arrange eggplant slices in a single layer, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 15 minutes.
5. Divide the eggplant slices into 3 equal parts. Place a layer of eggplant slices on the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Spread half of the meat sauce, add a second layer of eggplant slices then the rest of the meat sauce, and finish it with the last layer of eggplant slices. Bake for 35 minutes.
6. While the eggplant casserole is baking, lightly beat the eggs. Add a pinch of salt and almond milk to the eggs and stir. At the 35-minute mark, remove casserole from the oven and pour the eggs over the casserole. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Inspired by Paleo Grubs